GIVING DAY FAQs
Our college enjoyed great response and generosity in Virginia Tech’s first Giving Day.
CAUS received 206 gifts for a total of $56,338. Myers-Lawson School of Construction, in a separate Giving Day effort, received 58 gifts totaling $15,293. That’s a total of 264 gifts and $71,631 extending across all of the College of Architecture and Urban Studies in our very first 24-hour online event!
What does that mean?
More opportunities for our students, graduates, faculty, and research to make a positive global impact.
Thanks to all who gave, spread the word, and signed up as Giving Day Ambassadors. And kudos to our exemplary alumni, friends, partners, faculty, staff, and students who do your part each day to make CAUS a place worth investing in.
Special thanks to our challenge gift donors, including Jon Eisen, Kristine Fallon, and Mark and Diana Olmstead.
Our next Giving Day will be held March 19, 2019, from noon to March 20 at noon. Please join in once again next year.
What is Virginia Tech Giving Day?
Giving Day is Virginia Tech’s 24-hour online fundraising campaign. It’s an opportunity for alumni, students, faculty, staff, parents, and friends to come together and make a powerful, joint impact on the future of Virginia Tech. The university will use this day to raise not only money, but also awareness of the impact of philanthropy. More information on the universitywide Giving Day campaign can be found at here.
When is Giving Day?
Giving Day starts at noon on Tuesday, March 19, 2019, and ends at noon on Wednesday, March 20.
Why is Giving Day important?
- Ut Prosim (That I May Give) also means giving back so that others may follow. The Ut Prosim spirit ingrained in every Hokie doesn’t always translate into giving back to our university. Across Virginia Tech and CAUS, approximately 10% of alumni make donations each year. We aim to enlist 22% of all Virginia Tech alumni in annual fund giving by 2022.
- Giving enhances the prestige of a Virginia Tech degree. Rankings in sources like U.S. News & World Report take into account alumni giving as a measure of rankings success.
- Giving Day celebrates giving in any amount. It’s not how much you give – it’s that you give that counts. With a gift of even $5, you can help CAUS, our schools, departments, and university raise critical funding needed to ensure we can keep providing big opportunities for our students.
What is CAUS’s goal in the campaign?
The college hopes to make a bold statement by getting at least 150 people to donate during the 24-hour campaign. Gift opportunities start at $5, so anyone can make an impact. And small gifts add up! In 2017, gifts between $1 and $100, totaled $1.53 million. When combined, modest gifts have a tremendous impact.
How does Giving Day benefit CAUS and its schools?
Each college has its own special Giving Page. On Giving Day, participants can specify an area of the college where they’d like to direct their gift on the CAUS Giving Page. Myers-Lawson School of Construction has its very own Giving Day effort here.
How can I help?
Sign up to be a CAUS Giving Day Ambassador here. You’ll receive an email from ScaleFunder to create your official ambassador account, which takes 10 seconds.
What’s a Giving Day Ambassador?
As a registered Giving Day Ambassador, you’ll spread the word to students, faculty, alumni, partners, and friends in your network and encourage them to join in Giving Day through email and social media. You’ll also receive a personalized URL and Ambassador Dashboard – allowing you to directly track your impact on giving.
How do I support CAUS and VT as a Giving Day Ambassador?
- Sign up through this link and create your account after you receive an email from ScaleFunder.
- Make your gift on March 19, 2019. If you have already made a gift this year, thank you! By making an additional gift of any size on Mar. 19, you can help secure essential funding for what you love most about Virginia Tech.
- Email your networks and ask them to join you in making a gift to CAUS on Giving Day, using the personalized link from your Ambassador Dashboard. Sample email messages and social media posts are in the Ambassador Toolkit that you’ll be able to use once you’ve signed up.
- Spread the word. Talk about Virginia Tech Giving Day on your own social media outlets: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Use your custom URL to track how many gifts you personally bring in from your network. Use the hashtag #VTGivingDay.
What, specifically, does my gift support?
The simple answer is the people, programs, and prestige of the Virginia Tech College of Architecture and Urban Studies. These annual giving funds are allocated to some of the college’s most pressing needs, including student conference and competition participation (travel/fees), bringing professionals into the classroom for guest lectures and seminars, sending students to galleries and exhibitions, and so much more! Meet a few of the people of CAUS who give AND receive on our Faces of Giving webpage.
Thank you for helping us make Virginia Tech’s Giving Day a big success! We hope you continue the Ut Prosim spirit by being an ambassador for Virginia Tech Giving Day.